Happy First Day of Spring! This is one of my favorite days of the year. I hope yours is going really well.
Today I wanted to do a bit of a combination of posts today – combining this week’s Not me Monday and Tips on Tuesdays. I’m doing this for two reasons:
- The tip I wanted to share today is not mine originally
- I’m a little overwhelmed with lots of projects going on – so yes, this is a bit of a cheat to combine these two.
A few years ago I read an article in Real Simple Magazine. I wish I had the exact article or at least the magazine issue to reference, and while I don’t have that information – the lesson learned from the article really stuck with me.
Basically, the article talked about a guy who saved every five dollar bill that ever made it into his wallet and after a couple of years, he was able to take his family on a great vacation. I want to say to Disney or someplace like that.
I love this idea because it shows how the little bit adds up over time. And by sticking to something, the payoffs are really great.
After reading this article, I starting doing my own version of this. And while I’m not saving for anything in particular, I collect one dollar bills and place them in an envelope in my office labeled “the dollar fund.”
I don’t typically have a lot of cash in my wallet, I normally use my debit card and/or working from home, I don’t find a huge need to have cash on me. But every few days, I’ll clean out my wallet and any dollars go right into my envelope.
Like I said, I’m not saving for anything in particular – but boy is it nice to have a few dollars available should you need them.
- we pay our son $2 a week for his allowance
- I bought a box of Thin Mints from a Brownie who knocked on my front door last weekend
- whenever we are a couple of dollars short for the babysitter
- if I’m feeling like I want to treat myself to a Chai before a meeting.
The fund sometimes adds up and I’ll have upwards of $50 in there. But it probably sits around $25 on any given day.
It has really come in handy.
Do you have a secret stash like the $5 vacation fund or like my dollar fund? Please share!
Happy Monday and Tuesday to you!