Do you ever get caught in what I call “Treading-along mode?” Basically, you are just treading through jobs and events and actions to get to the next job, event or action and you don’t really know why or what you are doing it all for.
- You show up to meetings to get through what is presented, accept the new tasks you’ve been given, and head back to your desk to get started.
- Or you wake up in the morning to get the kids out of bed, dressed, lunches made, off to school, and then wait for them to come home so you can do it all again but in reverse?
Do you ever need a little reminder of what motivates you?
I just proposed something to the little non-profit I work for – something new to start this year.
Start each meeting with a feel good story of why we are doing what we are doing.
But I got to thinking, this idea of reminding ourselves why we are doing something can be used for any situation to help redirect our focus and motivation.
- Why are you getting up at 515 in the morning to exercise?
- Why are you making your child’s lunch instead of letting her buy lunch at school?
- Why did you go into business for yourself?
- Why are you calling this client?
- Why do you visit your parents?
What are your motivations? Why are you doing what you are doing?