I’m starting something new this year – Tips on Tuesdays. How is this different from any other day – – well – – it’s not really – – seeing that I write mostly about tips. But I thought the title was catchy.
So here’s the first one: How to keep those resolutions.
I was just listening to my local NRP station where they had a panel of diet and nutrition experts talking about how to keep your fitness goals for the year. They said much of the same thing you hear whenever you are setting goals:
1. write the goals down,
2. share your goals with friends and family to keep you accountable,
3. break the goal down into mini-goals and celebrate along the way.
During the show, they also took calls from the public about specific scenarios and gave some specific ideas to each caller and their goals.
I thought I’d do the same today from some of the resolutions I’ve read from my friends’ Facebook pages, comments on blogs and others I’ve encountered over the last couple of days. So here are my specific tips on how to get your resolutions off to a great start.
- Reduce my family’s waste – use cloth napkins, stop using disposable plates and utensils, compost your food waste, buy in bulk.
- Stop watching reality TV – join a book club, go for a walk, rent movies, write a letter, call your mom.
- No more fast food – Read Michael Pollan’s book “Food Rules” , pack a lunch at night, create a menu for the week.
- Write three things that I’m thankful for each day – keep a journal by your bed, create a blog, share your three things as your Facebook status, discuss them with your family at dinnertime.
- Write my book – set time each day or week to work on your book, put this as an appointment in your calendar, go to a library or a coffee shop to work to limit distractions at home.
- Stop wasting time, become more productive, etc….- – read this blog!
For many of us, this is the first real day in 2012 – – we are back at work, school is back in session. Now the test really begins – can you incorporate your goals into your old routine?
Yes you can!!!
Share with me your resolution(s) and if you’d like – I can throw out a few suggestions on how to make them a success.
PS – here’s a link to the Michael Pollan book – – I highly recommend it.